AQP Back Pain
AQP (Any Qualified Provider) Lower Back and Neck Pain Referral criteria:
A patient is eligible for referral to the service if they present with primarily back or neck pain with or without ‘referred’ symptoms to the limbs including:
· Whiplash associated disorders
· Stiffness and restricted movement
· Cervicogenic headaches
· ‘Mechanical’ neck and low back pain
· Degenerative pain
· Postural related neck and back pain.
‘Urgent’: Patient referral is considered urgent if one or more of the following apply:
· Patient dependent on strong analgesics e.g. tramadol.
· Severe sleep disturbance due to condition.
· Clinical condition likely to significantly and quickly deteriorate without intervention.
· Severe impairment of activities of daily living.
· Deteriorating neurological states.
‘Standard’: All patient referrals that are not categorised as urgent, for example:
· Patient with intermittent pain.
· Patient has a mild to moderate reduction in functional ability.
· Mild to moderate impairment of activities of daily living.
· Patient’s condition has the potential for improvement with intervention.
Exclusions:Patients who meet any the following conditions are not appropriate for referral and therefore not covered in this service:
· Suspicions of serious pathology– urgent to secondary care or as per locally agreed pathways.
· Patients under 16 years of age
· Patients that do not meet referral criteria.
· Patients who are not registered with a GP in locality.
· Patients who it is recognised at point of referral / initial assessment have little or no potential for further or sustained improvement through undertaking a course of treatment.
· Housebound patients
· Patients with widespread or chronic (greater than 1 year) musculoskeletal pain.
· Patients who have a primary peripheral limb problem with secondary back and neck pain (e.g. hip or shoulder problems, foot or gait abnormalities).
· Women who are over 35 weeks pregnant.
Please note:if a patient has already been seen by an AQP MSK Provider in the preceding 12 month period, a second AQP referral is not permissible for the same injury / body part (unless it is justified that the initial package of AQP care should be re-opened).
Referrals are sent via AQP referral form direct to provider of choice
List of AQP Providers in Cornwall
Musculoskeletal service any qualified provider (AQP) map
Date reviewed 26/10/2021
Next review due 26/10/2022
Sifter name Dr Rebecca Hopkins
Version No. 1.1